Monday, November 28, 2011

the ones that love you will never stop.





I've been really busy with school stuff lately so I haven't had time to update, what with the semester winding down and what not. I did want to say this though. My adolescent literature class has been one of my favorite classes in my college career thus far. I thought it would be amazing to read books for teens and not really do a lot of work which is mainly true, but we were all required to teach one of the books to the class. The book my group was assigned was The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie. It's a great book if you haven't read it or heard of it like I hadn't. I mainly just wanted to post some quotes from it because I loved it. I also decided Sherman Alexie might be one of my favorite writers. His poetry is great too and he's hilarious which is a nice bonus. I follow him on Twitter and if that's your thing then I'd recommend following him.  


"There are all kinds of addicts, I guess. We all have pain. And we all look for ways to make the pain go away."



"I ran away from there as fast as I could. I wanted to run faster than the speed of sound, but nobody, no matter how much pain they're in, can run that fast."
"I think the world is a series of broken dams and floods, and my cartoons are tiny little lifeboats."
“I used to think the world was broken down by tribes,” I said. “By black and white. By Indian and white. But I know that isn’t true. The world is only broken into two tribes: The people who are assholes and the people who are not”.
“If you care about something enough, it’s going to make you cry. But you have to use it. Use your tears. Use your pain. Use your fear. Get mad. Arnold, get mad.”

“I didn't know what to say to her. What do you say to people when they ask how it feels to lose everything? When every planet in your solar system has exploded?” 

“Grief is when you feel so helpless and stupid that you think nothing will ever be right again, and your macaroni and cheese tastes like sawdust, and you can't even jerk off because it seems like too much trouble.” 

“You have to love somebody that much to also hate them that much, too."

No comments:

Post a Comment